Update on The CATS Foundation – March 2012
It has been very busy at THE CATS FOUNDATION since the start of 2012 and the charity has gone from strength to strength! We would like to thank everyone who has been involved in raising awareness of both THE CATS FOUNDATION and Tay-Sachs and also everyone who has donated! There have been many highlights and we have listed a few below.
- 1. Raised over £20, 000
- 2. Now registered on JustGiving to make donating easier
- 3. We have given interviews to various newspapers highlighting our cause
- 4. Rare Disease Day was a success with the public consultation started
- 5. Many events for the charity are planned for 2012
1. Raised over £20, 000
Since our last update there have been various events held for THE CATS FOUNDATION by lots of different people! A lot of fundraising events were held during the Christmas period and since the turn of the year there has, and continues to be, a lot of happening to raise awareness of Tay-Sachs. A list of some of the events can be found below – thank you everyone who took part!
- 13 in 13 – Marathon 2 – read more here
- Law Society Ball – read more here
- Nursery Carol Singing – read more here
- Farmers Market – read more here
- 13 in 13 – Marathon 3 – read more here
- Zoom Nursery – read more here
- South Devon Fundraising – read more here
- 13 in 13 – Marathon 4 – read more here
- 13 in 13 – Marathon 5 – read more here
- St David’s Day Run – read more here
2. Now registered on JustGiving to make donating easier
THE CATS FOUNDATION is now registered on Justgiving which means it is now even easier to donate! Whenever you see the Justgiving logo on the charity website all you have to do is click on it and you will either be taken to a page to make a general donation directly or you will be taken to an event page someone has set-up so you can donate to the event.
We also have JustTextGiving set-up which means you can now text a donation! To do this all you have to do is text the information below to 70070.
CATS44 £5 to 70070
3. We have given interviews to various newspapers highlighting our cause
Since the beginning of the year we have been in touch with some local media to highlight the work THE CATS FOUNDATION has been doing and to get some more support. This has been a great success and we have been in the press at least once a month! You can check out the articles which have been written about us below.
- Loondon Evening Standard (January 2012) – read the article here
- Lewisham Mercury (February 2012) – read the article here
- Jewish Chronicle (February 2012) – read the article here
- Wales Online (February 2012) – read the article here
- Saracens @ Wembley (March 2012) – read the article here
4. Rare Disease Day was a success with the public consultation into rare diseases being started
Rare Disease Day 2012 was a huge success all over the UK and it resulted in the public consultation into rare diseases being started – this was one of the main aims of the event!
You can read more about the public consultation and how you can get involved here. The key points of the consultation are:
- Recommends using specialist centres to make exact diagnosis – this will make sure people are treated earlier and in some cases this could save lives
- Acknowledges that all doctors should have the right training to be aware of the possibility of a rare disease
- Recommends that the care of patients with rare diseases should be better co-ordinated
We would like to thank everyone who contacted their local politician – by doing this you highlighted the need for this consultation into rare diseases to begin.
5. Many events for the charity are planned for 2012
There are many events which have been set-up recently now THE CATS FOUNDATION is on Justgiving. Below is a list of these events and a direct link to their individual page on Justgiving. If you are feeling generous then please show your support to them and make a donation!
- Brentwood Half Marathon (Mark Jackson, Matt Lewi and Stephan Walsh) – access the JustGiving page here
- The Essex Roads Sportive (Pierre Walsh) – access the JustGiving page here
- Axel’s Endurance Challenge 2012 (Axel Thill) – access the JustGiving page here
- South Wales Bike Ride (Neil Williams) – access the JustGiving page here
- 13 marathons in 13 months (Dan How and Dan Lewi) – access the JustGiving page here
- Swindon Half Marathon (Fay Roberts) – access the JustGiving page here
Once again thank you to everyone who continues to support THE CATS FOUNDATION – without you we would not have been able to develop the charity as far as it has come!